Friday, April 22, 2005

Happy Earth Day

Check out this slide show in honor of Earth Day. It is shocking and sad.

Man, I'm on a kick this Earth Day. It makes me really hate being alive and taxing the planet, though I'm trying to be as responsible as I can. Sad that most people don't even think about it. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm trying hard not to be too snobby to the sprinkler salesmen that came for Earth Day today, or the Suburban drivers or the urban sprawlers.

Sad Earth Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a test comment.

Anonymous said...

Earth Day should be renamed to something more indicative like "Eco-Fad Day”, since most who supposedly are eco-conscience are nothing more than eco-terrorists. If anyone who reads this truly can say they are eco conscious more than anyone else, they are lying. So, someone bicycles all over the place, and takes the city transportation or drives a hybrid other times. Does that same person use anything plastic? Do they eat meat? Do they drink alcohol? What about do they use rubber in any way or air conditioning, or perhaps smoke? Do they warm up the shower before getting in or leave a light on when they leave the house? Do they only buy products from eco-friendly manufacturers? Just like a vegetarian can’t claim to be a vegetarian if they wear a leather coat, a person cannot claim to be eco-conscious more than the next person in today’s society.

I drive a suburban and live in a house, with grass that I water twice a week. But I also planted 15 trees in my yard, recycle, have a programmable thermostat, keep my water heater on low, and never leave a room without turning off the light or tv. I mulch my lawn, do not take unnecessary trips around town, and wash my clothes in cold water. Little things? Yes, but compounded by a houseful, it turns out to be a big thing. Question is, just because someone doesn’t drive a gas guzzler, doesn’t mean they are eco-conscious… they most likely are an eco-terrorist, driven by a warped belief system that in some way doesn’t apply to them.