Friday, March 10, 2006

Bus buddies and those who need them

Last night, I sauntered outside as twilight was fading to make my way to the bus stop. I usually scope out the stop to see who else is waiting and try to strike up a conversation with people there is they looked bored and agreeable. I've developed a couple of "bus buddies" this way -- people I run into every week or two that live in the neighborhood. It is a nice way to share the walk from the final stop and it is a great way to pass the time on the bus.

After Christmas, I had posted my concerns about the impact my newly acquired MP3 player on my bus experience. I've found that I can't keep it turned on for more than a few minutes as I'm either listening to someone's conversation or participating in my own. I like determining each driver's unique demeanor and I like the wild variety of stuff people discuss on board.

I was talking with my bus buddy, which prevented me from zoning out, when a girl that was obviously unfamiliar with the bus and a bit uncomfortable braved to ask the surly bus driver where to get off for the library. We were at 9th and Oak, already well past the ideal stop for the library and the girl bravely tried to figure out what she should do.

My bus buddy and I took the case, telling her that she missed the best stop but she could get off at 9th and Grand and head to 10th and down the hill. As we were trying to give directions, the driver interrupted, saying "all you have to do is get off up there, it ain't no big deal" while we were trying to make her comfortable with her journey to the library. As we pulled up to the stop, we had to let her know that she should get off here.

You can always tell when people are new to the bus and a friendly driver can make a world of difference. It is an intimidating thing for those that aren't very adventurous. I'm glad I was paying attention so we could help.

I hope we didn't lose this girl to the scary driver. I hope she made it to the library after an enjoyable walk through downtown.

Maybe I'll see this new girl again and we can be bus buddies. As we chat, we'll be ready to help the next brave rider in need of a buddy.

No comments: