Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Tony has broughten it

If I had to read just one Kansas City related blog, it would probably be the prolific Tony's Kansas City, an often irreverent and oversimplified but painstakingly updated and funny look at what goes on in KC. I often agree with Tony, particularly in his frustrations with the Star. One frustrating element, however, is that Tony likes to complain about white people and their disassociation with and marginalization of minorities. It is humorous, but not so much so as it is tiresome, particularly when he contradicts himself with a rant about white people that ride the bus.

Tony's rant is that riding the bus "does not make you unique," as if riding the bus was just something people do to be cool and if you aren't poor and non-white, you are a poser.

On the contrary, riding the bus DOES make one unique simply by virtue of it being a rather exclusive activity, particularly among annoying white urbanites like me. The vast majority of trips taken in Kansas City are taken by car, so those that choose to use the bus, particularly with a car available, have made a conscience choice to be different.

I don't quite understand Tony's hostility toward young white people who are willing to take advantage of a transportation solution that so many poor minorities rely upon. Would he prefer that those whities kept to themselves in their safe automobile enclaves, further encouraging a disparity of opportunity between rich and poor and an ignorance toward alternative transportation? In one post, he complains about white people and their ignorance toward minority issues. In the next, he complains that white people are doing the "poor" thing and riding the bus.

If riding the bus becomes some sort of moral vanity, it is a good thing. Increasing the awareness of the bus is good for those riders that rely upon it. Increasing ridership means that those poor, non-white people we white people hate so much will have better transportation options and increased mobility.

Tony suggests that we attach all of the "white people with glasses" to rickshaws and make them useful. What of the people commuting by car? Are these people somehow more useful because they won't ever even have to talk to a person that isn't exactly like them, their entire life being their garage, their office and racist talk radio in between?

Good for us annoying white people who want to ride the bus. We should feel self satisfied. It does make a difference, however small, and it is more than sustainability and the environment at play, which most people don't take the time to realize. There are racial aspects and quality of life aspects. When destinations don't need a parking spot for every person, our city becomes a better environment that brings more opportunity to everyone. Attacking the satisfaction of bus riders smacks of the ignorance that is often employed to dismiss the bus as an option only for the poorest people so one doesn't have to think about their transportation choices or the impact they have on the community.

I guess in Tony's world, the only explanation for a white person that isn't racist is that he is a self-righteous poser. Hmm, which one should I choose?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on my way to 18th and Vine with some friends a few weeks ago and we were on the Prospect bus headed north. I got to talking to the man seated next to me, he was a regular, and somewhere in our conversation he said: "You don't look like the typical 39th and Prospect bus crowd". I was a little confused by what he had said at first, then realized that we must have been the only non-African American people who had ridden that busline in a while. Sad. Why should the use of public transportation be another source of racial divide?

Although I would have to say that your last sentence of your blog could be counter-productive ("we white people are doing more than you...") and may only cause Tony to become defensive or hostile, I do agree with the remainder of your post. One of the reasons I enjoy riding the bus is because of the exposure one has to such a diverse crowd.

I certainly hope that I am not labled as a "poser" when I ride the bus.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment. I agree about the last sentence and have removed it as I was a little frustrated at the time. Generally, I get a kick out of Tony's persectives, but this was just a tad hypocritical.

Tony said...

I have no idea why but I really like this post. As evidenced from my blog I usually like to try and stay away from thoughtful and intelligent commentary. While there are no dirty jokes, I still think this post is pretty awesome because it's encourages people to do something besides bitch which doesn't make for a good blog but probably for a more productive world which I guess might be important in between episodes of LOST.

FletcherDodge said...

To his credit, as many times as I've called a him racist, small-minded whiner, Tony has never become hostile or defensive.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

I'm a young white man who feels no hostility from Tony's hostility towards whites. His is the animosity towards the white power structure inherit in the U.S. So, this honky says Kill Whitey. Underneath the tires of a Max bus.

Eric Rogers said...

Tony Ortega of the Pitch summed it up best at his farewell party by saying "that's one bitter Mexican dude right there."

I think TKC's stuff is usually pretty good, but he is overly prone to crossing the line between satire and ass hattery.