Thursday, November 10, 2005

Do You Have a Bike Handy?

I have written several times about my affinity for giving people directions and being afforded opportunities to show my hospitality in general. This morning I had another opportunity as an obviously lost lady from the hinterlands of Kansas trolled my street.

"Excuse me, can you tell me how to get..."

Yes! Directions! Positive interaction with outsiders!

"Kemper Arena," she finished.

Crap.

Instantly, my navigation by car atrophy was painfully apparent. My mind invisioned the route. "Okay, hop on the bike, down under the bridge to Woodsweather... crap, she has a car..."

It seems my abandonment of driving had diluted my navigation to "by feel" or "take the such and such bus."

Do I need to drive so I can remember how to do it?

"Well, yeah, it is kinda hard to get to. Are you interested in hearing the story of that mistake and about our new arena?"

No, I won't drive. We'll just fix the city.

"Grand is right there. Take a right and it is a straight shot."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Turns out, the exit is right around the bend on I-35, the 12th St viaduct. I have never driven to Kemper.