Thursday, November 03, 2005

Riding for fun

Well, it is over. Who would have thought that the season of mountain bike racing, my first as an expert, would be so dramatic -- especially for little old me.

If I had any idea how close things would be at the end, I might have done something differently. I lost by one point. Any of the races where I let a space slip or didn't show up as prepared as I should could have made the difference.

Maybe if I would have skipped the 6 hour race the day before the race in Neosho, or opted out of the epic experience of Ride the Rockies so I wouldn't have to race the day after crossing the Continental Divide for the last time on the last day of the ride.

No, I'm glad I did that stuff. I need to remember that I ride my bike for fun. Having too much of a focus on being competitive will ruin it for me. As I pre-rode the course last Sunday at a leisure pace, I was reminded of just how much fun mountain biking is. The course rose above a lake and weaved through the rocks and trees and it was FUN! I'll have to do more of that.

As for the series, it was a miserable way to lose. I had my conflicts, bad luck and tough races that would have made the difference earlier in the year, but it came down to the race in Manhattan. I needed to beat the points leader. I was feeling good and was ready to roll.

He didn't race.

There is a rule in the series that allows a racer to take the average of his top 5 scores in place of a race if he volunteers to help score and marshall the race. Using this option bagged my opponent 22 points (further exacerbating the damage done by my surrendering of a 2 man race earlier in the season), meaning I had to win the race to get the 1 point I needed. I got second by 50 seconds. I had some pedal problems which are really a matter of me being underprepared. I guess I just didn't want it enough. I didn't give it enough focus and I didn't prepare, so I didn't get it.

So, now it is back to riding for fun. I will give that a ton of focus. I can't wait to get back on the streets of KC and not worry about stopping for a beer or whether I'm driving a decent pace or if I've climbed enough hills. Riding in the city is fun, and I'm all about the fun.

As for next year? I'm not worried about it. I might train for it, I might let it slip. I'm giving myself a break from thinking about that too. In the meantime, drop me a note if you feel like going for a bike ride.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like going for a bike ride.

Tossed Pot said...

It's defintely the contentious nature of sporting for fun versus sporting for competition. However in my case it was bowling, and one day I just walked away from it for good. All those years of building up skills and having fun at the same time, led to the point where competitiveness took precendent over fun. And it was a downward spiral from there.

So yeah, to hell with competitiveness if it's going to give you burnout on an activity you once cherished.

Erin said...

So this is what one stumbles upon when one gets bored and nostalgic and decides to Google old high school classmates...

Hi, Matt, good to hear you're doing well! Happy biking. :)

Erin (Ashmore) Armknecht

Anonymous said...

Hey dude - I've been meaning to congratulate you since I read this, but every time I've had the time to do it I've been on my bike, or in my car on my way to ride a bike - so I do have a good excuse :-)

Anyhow, congrats on the finish. I've known quite a few guys who go Expert and never get out of mid-pack (and one who enjoys drinking beer during the races, but I won't point fingers). For you to go Expert and the first year be 50 seconds from taking the last race and the series is awesome. Do remember to keep it fun, though. It's much easier to get faster if you're having fun. :-)